FNH 5.7 quit ejecting

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

DoubleJ

Re: FNH 5.7 quit ejecting

Post by DoubleJ » 03 Feb 2017, 18:50

I'm also short of air and air pressure. Some of my own testing has revealed that it doesn't make too much of a difference at pistol distances, velocities at the muzzle are pretty consistent from here to the flat lands.

I'm starting to wonder if there wasn't, or isn't, something wrong with your gun. Blown out parts are indicative of high pressure, primer flow like that as well, and your die's refusal to resize brass without destroying it. Thing is, I'll be damned if I can even come up with a theory, especially since replacing the LCI with something you made in your shop seems to have straightened everything out. I gotta tap out on this one, and hopefully everything is good and stays that way, good luck.

Gulcher

Post by Gulcher » 03 Feb 2017, 19:21

DoubleJ wrote:... and your die's refusal to resize brass without destroying it.
I think it was mostly the press I was using, and / or the lube. Everything is fine now. The Rcbs case lube / Break Free combo was good, but I finally got some Hornady One Shot, and it is even better, including on the old brass...
DoubleJ wrote:......and hopefully everything is good and stays that way, good luck.
Thanks!

(I've actually got a fair amount of experience with high pressure pistol loads... Just not with FN's products, and tiny little cartridges. For me, I'd have called that 'borderline' in my 357 Maximum, or .460 Rowland.)

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 03 Feb 2017, 22:35

I've got plans to do an 80% 1911 in .460 Rowland down the road. Gonna be tough since I know zero about the 1911 platform.

Gulcher

Post by Gulcher » 03 Feb 2017, 23:10

DoubleJ wrote:I've got plans to do an 80% 1911 in .460 Rowland down the road. Gonna be tough since I know zero about the 1911 platform.
Let me know if you need tips.... But 1911 is easy. You can probably figure it out. Everything with that action is pretty intuitive. I had to go with an oversized firing pin, fitted very precisely, and a bit lighter firing pin spring than they recommended. You should have seen the primer flow I had with that until I figured that out..

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 04 Feb 2017, 20:09

The FSN has a little primer flow as pictured. His does look a little odd, but the FSN spent primers do not look like say a traditional spent 5.56 case.