Help me convince a friend to buy a 5.7

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

zapj

Help me convince a friend to buy a 5.7

Post by zapj » 13 Mar 2016, 18:48

I have a friend that currently has a Springfield .45 and a 20 gauge shotgun for home defense - is getting older (aren't we all ..)
and is thinking of buying a new pistol as the .45 is getting a bit much for his hands in the recoil department. He is
also thinking about getting his CCW and a carry pistol as he is sometimes in areas where there isn't very good law
enforcement coverage. He has recently bought a second home out in the sticks as a get away home for he and his wife,
putting in a well, generator etc. for SHTF prep purposes (not a really intense prepper though).

He was coming thru town yesterday so wife and i met up with him and his wife for lunch etc. While the ladies were
off shopping we got into a casual conversation about what should he do about getting a new gun. I suggested he
look at our FSN calling it the FN 57. We poked around the web a bit on our phones, but I couldn't find a good concise
write up describing the 5.7, nor could I find one that would summarize the benefits / good features / cool things about
our favorite pistol.

So, I was hoping that my fellow members here might have some ideas (with links ?) that I could send him about
the 5.7.

I am thinking along the lines of no more 4 total links, with probably 3 being text based reviews and 1 YouTube video.

He lives in another state so I can't take him shooting with mine at the moment, but will try and go shooting with him
the next time he is in town - but that is probably going to be months away. I told him he might want to go rent a few
at a local range back home (which he had never heard of being available) and said he would do that. He also said he
had looked a bit at an LCP but was aware of the distance limitations it had in terms of longer range accuracy.

So, if you have any thoughts on good info / data about our 5.7 that would help me in presenting the 5.7 in a
favorable light I'd appreciate hearing from you. And if I come up with a good list, maybe we can make a sticky
out of it for others to use.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Zapj

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Re: Help me convince a friend to buy a 5.7

Post by blueorison » 13 Mar 2016, 19:51

Why are you trying to convince him...?

People will do what they want .' )

FsN has low recoil - good for older people who don't prefer higher recoil firearms; carries a lot of ammo that is also very light. Mags are easy to load.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

spyderco monkey

Post by spyderco monkey » 13 Mar 2016, 20:25

The Five Seven is really a connoisseurs pistol, and requires way more dedication towards finding ammo, buying in bulk, and doing research, compared to virtually any other handgun. For a guy who owns a 20 gauge and a XD .45, that seems like a bit of a stretch.

You say he needs something with less recoil, suitable for CCW as well as general use?

He should check out the XDS 4.0 9MM. 4" barrel, short grip, single stack, makes it both easy to carry and easy to shoot. And it will be familiar due to his experience with the XD.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-s-4-9-mm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For similar to 5-7 performance, he can load it with the Underwood Xtreme Defender, 90gr @ 1550fps
https://www.underwoodammo.com/9mm-luger ... -defender/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zapj

Post by zapj » 14 Mar 2016, 17:09

Appreciate the input here folks.

However, I was hoping to get some links from the members here that they recommend sites / pages that I could send him to read that are from sites that are considered to be "recognized authorities" or really good pages from our wiki for example.

He is a highly educated independent thinker that makes his mind up from both word of mouth and recognized experts based on my observations of him. Since he has started down the road of considering a 5.7 based on my initial input, I was hoping I could draw upon the members here to help me identify the input that he could read by providing links to pages that they thought are succinct, particularly well written and / or highlight the weapons attributes.

Spyderco makes a good point that I need to include information that calls out some of the potential areas of concern. I agree and am hoping some can point out really good fair and balanced review type pages that would present both the good points and the areas that might need to be considered as potential concerns.

Maybe an example of the type of page link that I am looking for our members to point out based on their knowledge of the web would be more along the lines of Hickock45 type pages / videos where he reviews a weapon and calls out the good and not so good attributes of a weapon from his point of view. ( I am thinking of potentially including both of Hickcock45's video reviews even though they might not be ones that are very favorable so that he can see the range of opinions that exist about the pistol)

Thanks again guys for your thoughts, and I hope to see some more replys from other members.

Zapj

spyderco monkey

Post by spyderco monkey » 14 Mar 2016, 17:29

Reviews:

http://www.gunblast.com/FN-FiveseveN.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.policeone.com/police-produc ... ive-Seven/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forums.officer.com/t174587-3/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CPTKILLER
custom title: CPT Killer

Post by CPTKILLER » 15 Mar 2016, 05:14

Take your friend out and let them shoot it and then decide.

kalani

Post by kalani » 09 Jun 2016, 21:36

taking him shooting, every one ever let shoot mine fell in love.

blizzardscout2
Platinum Member

Post by blizzardscout2 » 22 Jun 2016, 13:52

kalani wrote:taking him shooting, every one ever let shoot mine fell in love.
Agreed, that is the reason I have a suppressed PS90. My range had one for rent that I passed for a while. The day I finally rented it I was hooked. Same with the 5.7. Did you convince your buddy?