Fn Fiveseven with SS198lf combat stop report

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Infantryman

Fn Fiveseven with SS198lf combat stop report

Post by Infantryman » 24 Sep 2015, 19:51

This is in regards to the lack of real world experience besides the shooting in FT Hood and the HPD Swat shooting. Thought it was cool to hear about the gun I carry back home in action.

I was shown ,by the Belgians that work overseas in my general area, a report of a local man, 5'7 average weight and height, shot one time at aprox 27 meters with ss198lf. The bullet entered 3 inches below the top of the sternum on the right side shattering it on impact it tore through severing the Brachiocephalic artery and damaged the brachiocephallic vein traveling down after through the lung and striking and fracturing his right pelvic bone before stopping in sub-dermal tissue in his left buttocks. From the ME's estimate the round had tumbled off axis approximately 4-7 times. Apparently he dropped quickly enough that the shooter didn't fire a second shot.
This may have been a fluke but even a fluke that does damage like that means that a normal round will do a substantial amount.
The autopsy was done by a real doctor not a local, I saw photocopies of the original ME report.
I have to re evaluate all my reloads which I loaded 33 grain varmint grenades. But I also ordered 4000 rounds of ss198lf directly from the rep for a lot cheaper than I can get them on gun broker.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Fn Fiveseven with SS198lf combat stop report

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Sep 2015, 12:48

You do know the FsN is the preferred weapon of the drug cartels and buy now over the last 10 years in their drugs wars, assassinations and executions the Fsn has killed well into the thousands?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Infantryman

Post by Infantryman » 25 Sep 2015, 13:10

panzermk2 wrote:You do know the FsN is the preferred weapon of the drug cartels and buy now over the last 10 years in their drugs wars, assassinations and executions the Fsn has killed well into the thousands?
That is an internet rumor, it has been found at several busts but not in any excess to other weapons, I agree they like it but they don't tend to take their victims in for autopsies afterwards neither does the Mexican federalies. The only evidence I found of a directly quoted killing with the FSN was an execution so not much ballistics to be found there.
There are very few official shootings by a government agency or military where a full autopsy was performed. The exception was the Ft Hood shooting where Hasan used a mixture of rounds so there was no telling which round did what, all it did was prove the overall effectiveness of the caliber.

satellitedr3ams
Gold Member
custom title: TimeTraveler

Post by satellitedr3ams » 26 Sep 2015, 09:45

Off topic. Tired of arguing. :) Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by satellitedr3ams on 26 Sep 2015, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

NLVMike

Post by NLVMike » 26 Sep 2015, 10:35

Thanks for the data, infantry.

Infantryman

Post by Infantryman » 26 Sep 2015, 15:24

Just thought I would share give some well needed confidence to other carriers of the FiveSeven. Every shooting seems to prove that it is a highly effective round depending on ammunition. They did suggest not to carry expanding bullets since the tumble is what cause the primary damage from such a small round.
Just doing some math on the surface area compared to 9mm and the ss198 has the same surface area as a standard 9mm fmj, which is pretty cool from a damage perspective.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Sep 2015, 14:14

Infantryman wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:You do know the FsN is the preferred weapon of the drug cartels and buy now over the last 10 years in their drugs wars, assassinations and executions the Fsn has killed well into the thousands?
That is an internet rumor, it has been found at several busts but not in any excess to other weapons, I agree they like it but they don't tend to take their victims in for autopsies afterwards neither does the Mexican federalies. The only evidence I found of a directly quoted killing with the FSN was an execution so not much ballistics to be found there.
There are very few official shootings by a government agency or military where a full autopsy was performed. The exception was the Ft Hood shooting where Hasan used a mixture of rounds so there was no telling which round did what, all it did was prove the overall effectiveness of the caliber.

Sorry it's a damn fact. They use it all the time and it kills. The dead bodies are all you need. I don't need an ME report to tell me the guy with a gaping hole in him is dead from said hole.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

bvtbee66

Post by bvtbee66 » 21 Sep 2017, 21:06

Wouldn't SS195LF ammo have the same ballistic characteristics as the SS198LF' ??

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 22 Sep 2017, 12:42

^ Yes. It is about 200 fps slower..