FN 5.7 Pistol Trigger Completely Failed

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

Stove

FN 5.7 Pistol Trigger Completely Failed

Post by Stove » 22 Jun 2015, 05:57

I was at the range shooting this weekend and my FN 5.7 pistol completely failed. The trigger effectively seized and would not release the hammer. Spoke with FN and of course they want me to send it back and would offer me zero technical support (liability). I am competent in working on guns but am having difficulty seeing the problem here. Has any once experienced a complete failure of their FN 5.7 pistol in this manner and if so, what was your remedy. I tried using different magazines with no issue. I have the trigger assembly out and will take some pictures if anyone has some suggestions. This pistol is what I have been carrying. Should I loose confidence in this weapon because of this failure or is it just my bad luck?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: FN 5.7 Pistol Trigger Completely Failed

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Jun 2015, 10:36

Could very well be improperly assembled or more likely a spring with an under spec tail that finally got out of place.

How many rounds through the gun?

Is the slide going completely into battery?

How old is the pistol?

You could always send it to me/EA to look at since FNH customer service after FNH fired all the black weapons CS guys and transfered CS over to the elmer fudds in the Browning shotgun division has been shit.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Stove

Post by Stove » 22 Jun 2015, 14:20

I figured it out finally. I went through it all several times disassembling and reassembling. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Finally, I realized the pmag magazine wasn't pushing the magazine safety bar up far enough. I called pmag, they said there was a batch of five-seven magazines that went out too wide and they are replacing it for me. Thanks for the advise panzermk2. I thought the same thing and went diving into the springs before troubleshooting the easy stuff. Went ahead and disabled the trigger safety and the magazine safety while I was in there. Glad I discovered the problem at the range.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 22 Jun 2015, 14:26

That's your issue right there... aftermarket mags...
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.