EFK vs Jarvis Updated 11.7.2019

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

EFK vs Jarvis Updated 11.7.2019

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Sep 2013, 12:55

Just a little side by side. This EFK is from my personal FsN and has 10k+ through it hence the scratches. It has seen some hard use.

I decided to do this since on a certain other form some stupid asshats who don't have a clue keep going on about how the Jarvis barrel is so much better then the EFK. These arrogant gas bags are doing this only because EA decided to go with EFK over Jarvis.

It is amazing too me how those folks get any credit at all for knowing anything at all.

Otherwise for starters the over all feel of the EFK is better. Finish on the barrels where they were turned is much better on the EFK. The Jarvis is very coarse, readily visible and felt turning marks. You can even feel them when you cycle the slide.

The finish of the spring retainer really stands out. If you look at the Jarvis where it meets the slide is very stepped and does not have as smooth a transition as the EFK.

If you look closely the Jarvis barrel steps down after the retainer effectively reducing the with and depth of the channel wall of the retaining clip.

Jarvis also short cut making the retainer. If you look you will see that you can not see the clip on the EFK. EFK creates a channel in the retainer for the clip. Not only does this mimic the factory barrel, gives a cleaner appearance it also keeps the clip from loosening up.

This is very important as guys have learned the hard way that it is easy to tweak the spring clip. With the EFK you have a full channel AND the retainer OVER the top of it holding it in place.

On the Jarvis you see the clip exposed AND in a shallow sides channel creating a failure point.

One more thing. If you look at where the threading ends at the chamber end you will see a nice gap on the EFK and the high shoulder of the barrel. This gives you a nice base to tighten against and not damage your threads. With the Jarvis it's much easier to over tighten your barrel appliance and damage threads.

Another pet peeve of mine is the tread protector. The Jarvis has a crappy roll stamped knurling reminiscent of 1980 shitty Colt slide roll stamping. The EFK thread protector has a nice .075 raised band that is then MACHINE knurled instead of some crappy uneven roll stamp.
EFK Thread protector, currently they are anodized black.
Clearly visible step and expose ring clip on the Jarvis and enclosed EFK.
The net affect is the EFK is a much higher quality product at every level in addition to a better chamber.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

karbuv

Re: EFK vs Jarvis

Post by karbuv » 11 Sep 2013, 07:46

Jay, thank you very much for the comparison review of these replacement barrels. Your review is timely as a new barrel is in my future.
You mention "The net affect is the EFK is a much higher quality product at every level in addition to a better chamber." What makes the chamber better? Your comment makes me think about the case and especially the case necks that are moved and reshaped when fired as well as reformed by the dies during reloading, so is one better for reloads than the other, and how are the EFK and Jarvis chambers compared to the factory barrel chamber?
A new barrel is in my future so I am trying to evaluate them, of course, the availability may influence my purchase.

Thank you very much for your time, effort and expert input!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 11 Sep 2013, 08:57

In the shoulder area where this round has failed the chambers on the Jarvis over sized causing the neck and shoulder to move even more then normal. It stresses an already stressed area. Plus the finish on the chamber up by the shoulder has large amounts of cutting chatter.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

fd57

Post by fd57 » 11 Sep 2013, 12:41

panzermk2 wrote:In the shoulder area where this round has failed the chambers on the Jarvis over sized causing the neck and shoulder to move even more then normal. It stresses an already stressed area. Plus the finish on the chamber up by the shoulder has large amounts of cutting chatter.
Jay -

Which Jarvis barrel or barrels are you referencing? What year of manufacture?

Asking because according to Jarvis they addressed this issue at least 2 years back, so barrels from 2012 and 2013 should not be described as such. But don't know, so asking if you've analyzed barrels from 2012 and 2013.

Thanks!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 12 Sep 2013, 13:14

I not sure of the date of manufacture of the Jarvis barrel I had for the side by side. It was purchased about 2 months ago. The chamber needed a great deal more polishing in the neck area then the EFK's ever do. I have not test fired it yet as it was part of a deal when the customer bought a suppressor. He has ordered and EFK from us and is waiting on it.

When I get a chance I will test fire it and see how much the shoulder bulges out.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

karbuv

Post by karbuv » 13 Sep 2013, 10:40

Jay, thank you for the info. Unless Jarvis has fixed this it appears I need to get an EFK barrel. Polishing a chamber is doable but adding material where it's been milled is beyond my ability. Maybe Jarvis has fixed these issues, perhaps someone will have some input on a recent production Jarvis barrels' chamber neck area and chatter marks. Another question along these lines...can annealing or anything else be done to these case, (necks), to make them more durable. Has something new come along in this area, my apologies for asking an old pesky question?

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 13 Sep 2013, 11:03

Jay -

Can you post a photo with the areas highlighted where you found issues in the 2 month old Jarvis barrel?

Thanks!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Sep 2013, 09:38

fd57 wrote:Jay -

Can you post a photo with the areas highlighted where you found issues in the 2 month old Jarvis barrel?

Thanks!

I did above concerning the construction. We have polished the chamber but Like I said I still need to test fire it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

s-industries
Gold Member
custom title: M.E.

Post by s-industries » 20 Sep 2013, 22:30

Jay, do you think the exposed ring clip is really an issue? My factory barrel has an exposed clip and has had zero problems. Aside from the possible issues, have there been any documented problems with this aspect?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 21 Sep 2013, 16:45

s-industries wrote:Jay, do you think the exposed ring clip is really an issue? My factory barrel has an exposed clip and has had zero problems. Aside from the possible issues, have there been any documented problems with this aspect?

My issue is that and the step down. Talk to anyone here who changed out their recoil spring and used a pocket knife to remove the clip. It never went back on correctly. I have had to send a few out.

With the recoil impulse of the FsN, the uncovered clip AND the fact is does not sit in a full channel concerns me.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

custom title: new old member

Post by 748 » 25 Dec 2014, 21:09

I put my EFK barrel on back in 2009 or 2010 I think it was. I was back when you could order the barrel, but you had to wait 4 months for it to come in. I dropped it in and the gun didn't miss a beat.
If you want some quick cash I sold my OE barrel for $170, on ebay last year when I was reducing my "stuff I don't use inventory".

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 26 Dec 2014, 12:17

Unfortunately depending on when you place your order and when the are ran the wait could be as high as 3 months. We order extra though and EFK sets barrel aside just for us above what we order from every run.

I have to add EFK's customer service from a dealer side really kicks ass.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 26 Dec 2014, 15:13

FYI, EFK has shortened their barrel now, I compared my brand new EA'd one to a slightly older one and it's considerably shorter.

Removed broken photobucket link

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 28 Dec 2014, 09:53

Yeah I will be covering that in the next coffee chat.

EFK stated that so many customers complained about the aesthetics of the longer barrel and slide gap that they shortened it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bruteandbear1
custom title: CHICAGO BEARS!!!

Post by bruteandbear1 » 28 Dec 2014, 18:46

I don't have a problem at all with the longer barrel I got from EFK, the more velocity the better for my applications. I have put over a thousand rounds through my EFK barrel and the only issue I have that I don't have in my factory barrel is the shoulder gets blown out more. So I have to go about .2 tenths of a grain lower on my reloads for me to feel safe shooting it out of my EFK barrel which is fine.

custom title: new old member

Post by 748 » 28 Dec 2014, 19:00

I defiantly have the older longer EFK barrel and don't have any problem with it.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 29 Dec 2014, 03:25

Will you be re designing your thread adapter to make up for the loss in barrel length?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 29 Dec 2014, 14:42

No it does not need to be.

EFK stops the threads and leaves a gap and a shoulder to run your adapter/accessory up tight against. My unit has been designed from the outset to stop at this shoulder.

Unlike Jarvis that does not.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Middian

Post by Middian » 29 Dec 2014, 17:47

Nice info, thanks! I asked for this barrel from the wife for Xmas. Once she gets back from a trip up north, I shall be putting in my order!

bruteandbear1

Post by bruteandbear1 » 30 Dec 2014, 15:16

panzermk2 wrote:Yeah I will be covering that in the next coffee chat.

EFK stated that so many customers complained about the aesthetics of the longer barrel and slide gap that they shortened it.
I thought you said the EFK was longer than the Jarvis. I do have a long EFK barrel and a new short one barrel from EFK. Did EFK switch to the Jarvis length because it is engineered and tested as a better length?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 30 Dec 2014, 15:22

bruteandbear1 wrote:
panzermk2 wrote:Yeah I will be covering that in the next coffee chat.

I thought you said the EFK was longer than the Jarvis. I do have a long EFK barrel and a new short one barrel from EFK. Did EFK switch to the Jarvis length because it is engineered and tested as a better length?

Like I said, it was purely for looks. Customers complained about the gap on the EFK barrel. The 1/4 of an inch will have no change in function.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 31 Dec 2014, 04:50

So it's ok that the thread adapter contacts the slide cover about a half turn before it's snug? Wouldn't this damage the cover when it smacks into the adapter during cycling, or possibly the threads on one or the other?

I also tried the thread adapter on a friends older, longer barrel, and it never got near the shoulder before it got tight, we're not sure where it actually tightened up.

You can see EFK also changed the way the shoulder is cut between the two, there was a big gap between the end of the threads and the shoulder before, now it's gone.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 31 Dec 2014, 05:55

I don't like the looks of it contacting the slide cover. Maybe need to modify the adapter?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 31 Dec 2014, 23:07

It should stop against the rear shoulder on the barrel. Touching the cover slightly is not a big deal. Just like the gaps between the slide cover and frames folks have posted about form years there is a large amount of free play in the cover and variance in the covers themselves. It's just the cover though not the metal part of the slide.

Again this is what people wanted so that is why it was changed, people wanted it snug up against the slide cover.

Something is wrong here. Is this barrel and adapter from us? All are test fit before the leave the shop.
The adapter is threaded all the way through internally and not a blind hole. If it did not hit the shoulder it would turn all the way though and out the front. So it buts up against the shoulder on the barrel.

Are you sure you tightened it all the way? The thread pitch has a very tight tolerance.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 31 Dec 2014, 23:08

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 01 Jan 2015, 23:26

OK I am looking into shaving some of that rear section off from the adapter since there is so much concern.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Kamerontkelly

Post by Kamerontkelly » 13 Jan 2015, 00:41

Thanks for the information. I was going to order a Jarvis barrel before I read this. The only problem is that the Jarvis barrels are in stock and these are not. Do you have any on hand? Also I would like to use a sparrow so I would need an adapter right?

bruteandbear1

Post by bruteandbear1 » 13 Jan 2015, 15:28

It looks like the new Jarvis barrel getting terribly ripped on here looks exactly like the new EFK barrel haha minus the thread protector and some simple polishing and I have both barrels and they work fine. I hope none of these Jarvis employee's have Wives and Children they have to feed after getting reports like this :skep:

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 13 Jan 2015, 21:01

Actually they are very different. Just look at the pics at the beginning of the post. It clearly shows that. If you think they are identical it may be time to have your eye glass prescription reviewed.

Jarvis chambers are also crap. Fit and finish is also lacking.

Maybe the Jarvis wives may want to talk to their husbands about increasing the quality of their product.

I talked about this in a coffee chat. When I came across Jarvis barrels with massively out of spec chambers causing neck separations. I contacted them just to let them know I had come across a problem.

They literally told me to <profanity> off.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

bruteandbear1

Post by bruteandbear1 » 14 Jan 2015, 10:56

panzermk2 wrote:Actually they are very different. Just look at the pics at the beginning of the post. It clearly shows that. If you think they are identical it may be time to have your eye glass prescription reviewed.

Jarvis chambers are also crap. Fit and finish is also lacking.

Maybe the Jarvis wives may want to talk to their husbands about increasing the quality of their product.

I talked about this in a coffee chat. When I came across Jarvis barrels with massively out of spec chambers causing neck separations. I contacted them just to let them know I had come across a problem.

They literally told me to <profanity> off.
Really, why did they treat you that way. That is poor business ethics 101 there. That was unprofessional of them. I absolutely love my EFK barrels and you do great work. I just think it is a little unprofessional to speak badly about another business that is all. I am a fan of EA and I refer my friends to them who are involved in the 5.7X28mm platform. :D

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 14 Jan 2015, 21:32

I spent 20 years in the Corp environment where not one <profanity> would tell the truth about a bad product.

I when I get asked why EFK instead of Jarvis I tell the damn truth. You may not like it, but honestly I don't care. I call it how I see it when asked.

You will never have any doubt about how I think or feel about something. You will always know 100% where you stand with me.

If a product is <profanity> I can't call it anything other then that.

This is also why I strive to make the best possible product at all times. This is why I am changing my barrel adapters already. For a perceived problem, not even one that has cause damage or failed to work.

Helps me sleep better at night.

PS. I also can't help to calling out Tactifag douchebaggery.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 15 Jan 2015, 00:19

panzermk2 wrote:PS. I also can't help to calling out Tactifag douchebaggery.
I remember you doing that with the sidesaddle on the KSG thing.
That was funny :laugh:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

bruteandbear1

Post by bruteandbear1 » 15 Jan 2015, 09:02

Well I would much rather have Quality that quantity infact that is what I do for a living I am a quality control inspector for waste to energy company (fluidized bed combustors). I am also working on cheap plasma fuel that I will run test trials on a may patent it in tractors if it goes somewhere. So I indeed require anything I purchase to have exceptional quality. I love EA and love there products keep it up!!!

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 29 Jan 2015, 16:10

These look just like EA's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mmx1-to-1-2-2 ... 27e586cd00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gr8ful

Post by gr8ful » 21 Jul 2015, 21:15

I have a Jarvis barrel. I find that mine jams up a lot, especially with S4 Ultra RapTOR, but even SS198LF results in premature carbon build up and requires cleaning.

I like the length and fit of the Jarvis. It seems compact and balanced but I suspect the extra space (that should not be there) in the chamber is causing the malfunctions.

It is shame the store hit me so hard on the Jarvis. Certainly it's not worth the $600 plus tax headache.

I also have the heavier EA spring on the Jarvis barrel. Considering that one wants less velocity on a suppressing system I question that move on my part. I was NOT impressed with the finish on the Jarvis and I think the EFK steel might be superior.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 22 Jul 2015, 08:45

Here is the new slightly shorter EFK barrel with our revised adapter for that barrel and the thread protector for the adapter we are going to now include with all barrels.

The original longer barrels will still be available on a limited basis. Less of an issue since we will have our custom EFK 7 inch barrel very soon.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

gr8ful

Post by gr8ful » 28 Aug 2015, 17:00

I am still sorting and sifting through my system with the Jarvis. Bill gave me some tips which seemed to help. And I called Gemtech and Joey's tips helped as well.

I am shocked by the fast build up of carbon which appears to limit range sessions and require more cleaning. Over all I am pleased with sound suppression. It is easier on me and makes me a better neighbor. While it is totally legal to shoot here, there are so many animals that I am sure my use of a can is appreciated and what they don't know is just fine.

I can't tell if my jams and misfeeds are due to my errors (in cleaning and lubricating) or the main spring or the various mags and their springs are interfering. Of all the rounds I have shot suppressed S4M seems to cycle best. But I think the FN factory barrel with my broken in mainspring is more reliable.

Yes, I am ambivalent: I love the dampened sound report but can not carry with a suppressor.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 03 Sep 2015, 13:39

Just got off the phone with another customer with a keyholing tornado tech extension.

Why people? I don't own stock in EFK ok?!?!?! Just get a good barrel and be done with it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

blizzardscout2
Platinum Member

Post by blizzardscout2 » 22 Jun 2016, 13:26

Thanks for your honesty Jay. I love your products for my PS90 and for reloading the 5.7x28 rounds. I will definitely order your barrel once I get a Five-Seven.