Excessive Jamming issues....Help!

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

RedSam

Excessive Jamming issues....Help!

Post by RedSam » 18 Feb 2012, 19:36

Just want to first say Thanks to everyone for all the help. I've been monitoring and learning from the site for a while now, well before I got my Five-Seven. What a Great resource this is!! .... Onto the dilema.

So I've recently started shooting steel and action pistol matches...What an amazing platform the Five-Seven is for the sport!! Every time I shoot I have at least a dozen people coming up to me to see my gun...grab some rounds while I reload to check them out... asking me about all the stats on the gun and ammo. They are all very interested in the gun...Then I start shooting or at least try to.

I have approx 600-700 rounds thru the gun with no failures at all. However ..... Just as I recently began to shoot steel & action pistol in front of people my gun jams religiously :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: I believe it is double feeding... live round in the barrel jammed by another underneath. i'm almost positive it is ejecting the spent round. Of course the only clearing is dumping the mag, racking the slide and re-inserting... Catastrophic in a combat situation of course. I'm getting 3-4 per magazine with all my mags at different times. Sometimes the 2nd round, middle of the mag, end and all of the above. At first I thought I had a bad lot of ammo. I have approx 4 different lots going. Its happening so frequently that I doubt its the ammo at this point.

Today I had 12-13 jams and finally had to stop on the last stage and was unable to complete the match because my mag release spring fell out after clearing a jam....luckily on the baricade in front of me! And of course the RO kept asking me what kind of gun I was going to purchase next, after every jam... :skep: :lmao: I've tried taking the mags apart.. cleaning the springs & interior of the mag. I always clean my gun after every trip to the range. Have a firm grip....So I'm stumped.

Just wondering if anyone has run into this issue and what was causing it. Also If its better to go thru the pain of sending it to FN or to my local shop. The shop sells the Five Seven and the gunsmith said he is familiar with them (has fixed a few) but their wait is 3-4 weeks :furious:

Can a recoil spring replacement fix the issue? Or something else I could try 1st?

Again Thanks to everyone in advance...I really appreciate any help!!

Buffman
Silver Member

Re: Excessive Jamming issues....Help!

Post by Buffman » 18 Feb 2012, 20:04

What ammunition are you shooting? Are you seating the rounds all the way to the rear of the magazine? Doesn't sound like you are if you popped the mag release spring out with them. Check the extractor for damage

Are these OEM magazines?

RedSam

Post by RedSam » 18 Feb 2012, 21:46

I knew I would leave some info out even with the long post....Sorry! I'm using the SS197.

I did read about seating the rounds when it first started happening and started doing that.

RedSam

Post by RedSam » 18 Feb 2012, 21:47

Yes the mags are the original that came with the gun.

RedSam

Post by RedSam » 18 Feb 2012, 22:05

Buffman wrote:What ammunition are you shooting? Are you seating the rounds all the way to the rear of the magazine? Doesn't sound like you are if you popped the mag release spring out with them. Check the extractor for damage

Are these OEM magazines?
What should I check on the extractor ... just physical damage that I would see...like marring or scratches? Sorry I'm new to checking all the internal functions.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 18 Feb 2012, 23:55

If you're certain it's a live round in the chamber and then a live round ramming it, it almost sounds like a magazine issue.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Feb 2012, 00:10

Has your magazine feed lip on the front of the mag chipped at all?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

RedSam

Post by RedSam » 19 Feb 2012, 05:22

I just unloaded all 3 mags and can't see any kind of cracking, marks or physical damage anywhere on the tops. When I push the rounds out to unload them I have always noticed that the top round sits in front of the rounds below slightly. The back of the top round is almost to the front of the rear taper of the round below. But all 3 magazines do this so I thought is was normal.

RedSam

Post by RedSam » 19 Feb 2012, 09:54

So I just got back from having the gunsmith at my local shop take a look at my Five Seven. He was really cool in taking time out of his busy schedule to look at it for me. After stripping the gun down and checking the ejector (which he said looked good) , he asked what I was using to clean it. After I told him CLP Break Free which his shop highly recommended years ago to me, and I've read raving reviews on it ever since he showed me the barrel. There were brown spots throughout the inside of the barrel. He said this could easily cause the problem I described as the round expands it sticks and can slow down the slide causing the problem.

He told me Break-Free is a good lubricant but not a good cleaner. He recommended Hoppe's solvent...its kerosene based while the break-free was I believe he said petroleum based? He cleaned out the barrel for me and said I should be good. So I will find out next range trip. That would be AWESOME if that cures the problem!!

Thanks to everyone for the help!!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Feb 2012, 10:07

Also use spray carb cleaner and a metallic brush to clean your chamber. Clean it away from the rest of the pistol. The lacquer coating from the brass builds up in the chamber. Regular gun solvents of any type will not break down this coating. You should make it part of you cleaning process.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

RedSam

Post by RedSam » 19 Feb 2012, 10:20

Is the carb cleaner safe on the polymer or stay away from that with it? So use one of the soft brass brushes on it?

Also should mention he did say the Break-Free is a great follow up / last step to the Hoppe's for the lubrication properties.

Thanks again!!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 19 Feb 2012, 10:46

RedSam wrote:Is the carb cleaner safe on the polymer or stay away from that with it?
panzermk2 wrote: Clean it away from the rest of the pistol. .

RedSam wrote: So use one of the soft brass brushes on it?
Yes since the carb clean could melt a synthetic brush. I use a 9mm bore brush.

RedSam wrote: Also should mention he did say the Break-Free is a great follow up / last step to the Hoppe's for the lubrication properties.

Thanks again!!
So fare out of every lube I have tried on out test guns the last being Ballistol. Test guns that are used to fire production samples of all our ammo and see thousands of rounds every 2 weeks or so, Breakfree has been the best lubricant.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 19 Feb 2012, 11:08

I use a .40 S&W bore brush ( copper or whatever) and brake cleaner. Not as harsh as carb cleaner, but still eats away at lacquer. Our bores are chrome lined, so no hurt on them.. I lube all of my firearms with 15w50 M1.

foxx0021

Post by foxx0021 » 26 Sep 2017, 20:23

Sorry to bump this 5 years later, I'm assuming/hoping you got the issue solved somehow, but have you checked the magazine catch itself? As I now understand it, the mag release/catch was originally made of polymer and prone to wear, and at some point was upgraded to a metal one. I believe this to be an issue in my FiveseveN, one that I've recently contacted FN about resolving. I'm hoping they'll have a metal one they can send me or at the very least a replacement polymer one