Blackhawk Serpa holster review

Discuss the FN Five-seveN line of pistols and accessories.

Moderator: blueorison

MCP

Re: Holsters

Post by MCP » 14 Jan 2011, 21:32

Just wanted to contribute to the holster thread.

My serpa hoslter on the blackhawk thigh rig.

MY galco shoulder rig.

Hope this helps some of you.

Adjuster

Post by Adjuster » 03 May 2011, 09:23

I like the Blackhawk Serpa type holsters.
They come with a paddle, or belt mount, can be tilted/canted to various angles to fit your body, or draw style, and are easy to fit to the weapon. (Have a belt sander? Easy to cut down to just the right size for your pistol barrel.)

The FSN fit perfect right out of the container, just attached the mount to the angle I like, and it's good to go. (I did use the belt sander to smooth out any form lines, and 600 grit around the opening edges to remove the flash. I like a smooth holster, no hang up's or blemishes this way.)

The Serpa design is excellent, as you naturally release the weapon from the holster, and have your finger on the safety with the FSN.

Perfect.

jsedwards25

Post by jsedwards25 » 05 May 2011, 13:24

Adjuster wrote:I like the Blackhawk Serpa type holsters.
They come with a paddle, or belt mount, can be tilted/canted to various angles to fit your body, or draw style, and are easy to fit to the weapon. (Have a belt sander? Easy to cut down to just the right size for your pistol barrel.)

The FSN fit perfect right out of the container, just attached the mount to the angle I like, and it's good to go. (I did use the belt sander to smooth out any form lines, and 600 grit around the opening edges to remove the flash. I like a smooth holster, no hang up's or blemishes this way.)

The Serpa design is excellent, as you naturally release the weapon from the holster, and have your finger on the safety with the FSN.

Perfect.
I'm a fan of the Serpa as well. I have one for carrying and one attached via the MOLLE adapter to my tac vest for when I'm outdoors. For what I prefer, I've found this fits me nicely.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Blackhawk Serpa holster review

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 May 2011, 17:03

This one is the Blackhawk CQC Model C1219
Gun was unloaded and I was not pointing it at my face! Just at the camera, gotta love the digital screens :)
First, the front sight should easily fit into the holster & not touch either side. If it doesn't, recheck the model & make sure you got the right one, it is printed on the holster.
ImageImage

As for the holster itself, it is well made & has stood up to several training days with plenty of use. The retention device has worked perfectly & is very simple to operate. The weapon is readily available but wont fall out of the holster or get pulled out without hitting the release lever. Pressing the release & drawing the gun puts the user's finger directly under the safety & along the slide - right where it should be while drawing.
It comes with a paddle type mount or belt loops (mine did anyway). The belt loop mount has stops on it which can be adjusted to your belt size.
The holster can also be slightly canted by adjusting the mounting screws on the back.
Last edited by Rapier1772 on 06 May 2011, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Mister Freeze
custom title: 159.6

Re: Blackhawk Serpa holster review

Post by Mister Freeze » 05 May 2011, 17:41

Nice. If I may add... At first, I wasn't fond of the paddle attachment, having never used one before. However, it did carry it away from my body a bit, accommodating my love handles. The ride height was too low for good concealment, so I constructed a riser (pix later). I have zero complaints now.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 05 May 2011, 17:58

I like mine, but I don't use it a whole lot anymore because I have my CBST. I had a youtube video showing front sight doesn't have clearance issues either :)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Post by blueorison » 05 May 2011, 20:38

Don't use Serpa's in excessively grainy, sandy, snowing environments. The catch, in all common sense, will start sticking or be blocked by the substance.

Other than that, it works great.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

firestorm248
Gold Member

Post by firestorm248 » 05 May 2011, 20:42

blueorison wrote:Don't use Serpa's in excessively grainy, sandy, snowing environments. The catch, in all common sense, will start sticking or be blocked by the substance.

Good to know

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 05 May 2011, 20:48

You can remove the pin and use the Serpa as a standalone Level 1 to alleviate the problem in harsh environments.
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 05 May 2011, 21:07

You can also get a spacer kit that bring the holster out away from your body as well. It comes with two spacers in the kit. Spacer One is labeled, 1 on one side, and 2 on the other side. Spacer Two is labeled, 2 on one side, and 3 on the other side. So you can't use spacer one on a holster and spacer two on another holster. They sell for around 10 to 15 dollars, and if you have to cant the holster away from the body (especially with body armor) they work great.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 05 May 2011, 22:23

blueorison wrote:Don't use Serpa's in excessively grainy, sandy, snowing environments. The catch, in all common sense, will start sticking or be blocked by the substance.
Define excessive. I know Tomac used his at a carbine class where he was rolling around in the dirt all day.
Tomac wrote:I've been running the Blackhawk thigh platform w/Serpa holster and at a recent carbine class both it and the FN57 performed flawlessly despite the ground-in powder-like dirt.
Tomac

Adjuster

Post by Adjuster » 07 May 2011, 17:29

I like them so much I have one for the FsN and my M&P9. (The Crimson Trace laser works just fine with the holster, as there is no thumb strap to mess with the momentary switch.)

I have mine canted grip forward, to the maximum setting. (Think FBI cant.) It's comfortable, and allows for quick access to the pistol, and easy to re-holster.

I've used the military style with a large flap and pull clip latch with no problems for backpacking and such. That holster tends to wear the sides of the pistol in it however. (My PT99 spent many years of use in this type of holster, and has the wear marks on the sides of the slide, but no rust, or other issues in 23 odd years of use.

I expect the SERPA's to have even less wear on the pistols, as they don't have as many contact points. (And the SERPA's have a rubber anti-rattle setup that should not leave much of a mark either.)

Gramaton Cleric
Gold Member
custom title: Gun Kata

Post by Gramaton Cleric » 07 May 2011, 17:43

Thanks Rapier!
Aim small,Miss Small!
NRA LIFE Member
Prior Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 08 May 2011, 00:14

Adjuster wrote: I expect the SERPA's to have even less wear on the pistols, as they don't have as many contact points. (And the SERPA's have a rubber anti-rattle setup that should not leave much of a mark either.)
Adjuster, if only this were the case, we wouldn't have someone crying on a new thread every other week about their precious plastic slide cover getting scratched by the Serpa. The alternate weeks, others post "WILL THE SERPA SCRATCH MY SLIDE?"
Rapier1772 wrote:
Define excessive. I know Tomac used his at a carbine class where he was rolling around in the dirt all day.
Tomac wrote:I've been running the Blackhawk thigh platform w/Serpa holster and at a recent carbine class both it and the FN57 performed flawlessly despite the ground-in powder-like dirt.
Tomac
Rapier, I'm talking about rocky, pebble-filled, big grain sand. The kind in the beaches of Asia, etc. Not fine sand. I used it for 18 hrs straight while ROing for a national multi-gun match in an extremely sandy environment with 0 issues. It was very fine sand and did not build up to block the catch. However, if you dump it in a sand bucket full of course sand, it will jam. It will also 100% jam when you pack it in snow.
Shoot more, worry less.

smpsmp

Post by smpsmp » 08 May 2011, 22:41

Blue will the serpa scratch or wear away the finish on my FsN? :lmao:

I'm actually kinda surprised no one else said that yet. Anyway I actually haven't had mine scratch/wear the finish at all. The only reason I'm even concerned about it is just because it isn't mine, but even then my friend said he doesn't care, and expects, and I expect every holster to wear the finish after a long enough time (given a long enough time the odds of it happening, much like most things in life, catch up).

Adjuster

Post by Adjuster » 09 May 2011, 19:57

:) Weapons are tools. :)

I expect wear.

What I don't want is them to fail without some kind of notice/warning, and on that front, the FN stuff has been very good.

Thanks for the advice about snow and large sand/pebbles. Wonder if there is a way to provide a clean path to eject the snow? Don't know about the sand/pebbles.

Might be as easy a drilled hole or two to stop any snow related jams. (Like under the finger index release.. so you push the release, and it pushes the snow down through the holes, or out the sides.. Might need to "V" shape the underside of the release latch..)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 09 May 2011, 20:16

Adjuster;

that's an insightful thought process. When snow is packed down in it, it feels like you've taken hard cardboard and compressed it throughout the holster, around the firearm. The lateral tension formed by the packed snow might defeat the downward force acting upon it as it is not in liquid form. But there is no harm trying.

As always, you can remove the pin and use it as a Lvl I retention; allowing it to work in all conditions.

Thus far I have found the Serpa to be one of the best holsters for the FsN for value and function. Just don't get water condensation in it in frigid temps as it will lock up the mechanism and don't jam it with macro particles and it should be fine. Most of us will never encounter these conditions.
Shoot more, worry less.

HecklerGuy

Post by HecklerGuy » 15 May 2011, 11:14

Blackhawk CQC Paddle release is awesome

HecklerGuy

Post by HecklerGuy » 15 May 2011, 11:16

Minor modifications will allow use of a suppressor

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 15 May 2011, 16:29

You mean keeping the suppressor on while it is in the holster? I haven't tried that... :ponder:

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 16 May 2011, 18:47

Sorry for the delay. The plate can be reversed for a drop rather than a rise.

PursuitSS

Post by PursuitSS » 24 May 2011, 20:21

I am now carrying a 5.7 as my duty weapon. The problem, no one offered a duty holster I liked. I have been carrying a Glock 34 in a Blackhawk Serpa Level 3 holster and I REALLY liked it.

Blackhawk does NOT offer a Serpa as a Duty holster. After a close inspection of my Glock Serpa Holster and a Serpa Level 2 belt holster for a FN 5.7 it APPEARED that I could remove the Duty back off of the Glock Level 3 holster and install the front off of the FN 5.7 belt holster.

Holster back to be removed:

FN 5.7 Serpa front installed on Duty belt back:

Gun in holster:

I did have to use different screws to install the holster. For some reason the FN belt holster uses smaller screws than the duty holster did. I had to go to the hardware store and get three washers and three 8x32 3/8" long screws.

NOW I have a duty holster I like for the 5.7!!!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 May 2011, 21:37

Thanks for moving your post PursuitSS. Looks like the holster worked out pretty well, do they sell the duty back by itself?

On an extra note: I've moved some of the review type comments from the holster source thread over to this one. If y'all notice a strange comment or something which seems out of order, that is probably the reason.

bpdenverco

Post by bpdenverco » 04 Sep 2012, 19:08

I am looking at the thigh rig, I do not see it on the blackhawk site. Was this custom made, if not what's the part number thanks...

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 04 Sep 2012, 19:19

bpdenverco wrote:I am looking at the thigh rig, I do not see it on the blackhawk site. Was this custom made, if not what's the part number thanks...
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's not "custom" but you do have to assemble it yourself. Separately purchase the holster & the "Tactical holster platform"
This thing-> http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Tactic ... 14,112.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Can check ebay as well, they still sell that stuff)

Then just put it together...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 04 Sep 2012, 23:27

I would not, and cannot recommend using the SERPA holster for any kind of serious application.
Shoot more, worry less.

Mister Freeze

Post by Mister Freeze » 05 Sep 2012, 03:28

Explain. My SERPA+riser has worked quite well

bpdenverco

Post by bpdenverco » 05 Sep 2012, 05:04

Thanks,got it.did not see the platform model

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 05 Sep 2012, 09:46

For range and casual use, it works great.

The mechanism for unlocking the trigger guard out of the holster has jammed 3 times in the past 3 years of use.
Shoot more, worry less.

zoomie

Post by zoomie » 07 Dec 2012, 21:18

MCP wrote:Just wanted to contribute to the holster thread.

My serpa hoslter on the blackhawk thigh rig.

Hope this helps some of you.
That is exactly what I am looking for. If you still have the specifics, can you list the exact make/model/purchasing location/etc of the rig? I don't usualy play copy cat... but I cant think of anything that would make that fit what I want any better (and the carbon fiber accent makes is look even more sweet)

Advincula

Post by Advincula » 24 Jun 2014, 18:35

Hello,

I was wondering if the handgun shown in those pictures on the first page are of the MkII version; I am about to purchase the same blackhawk! holster and want to be sure the holster can accommodate the thicker slide of the MkII.

Thank you for your help!

Josh

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 24 Jun 2014, 22:06

Those are the older USG models; the pics were posted in 2011, the MkII was released in 2013.

Middian

Post by Middian » 25 Jun 2014, 04:44

I tried the holster with my MKII and it did not work well. (extremely tight) I ended up selling it and buying a custom kydex holster.

Advincula

Post by Advincula » 11 Jul 2014, 11:41

Thank you for your reply.

FNGuy

Post by FNGuy » 10 Aug 2014, 09:35

Middian wrote:I tried the holster with my MKII and it did not work well. (extremely tight) I ended up selling it and buying a custom kydex holster.
How "custom" is the Kydex custom holster? What did they, or you do to it to make it fit your MK II?

PursuitSS

Post by PursuitSS » 20 Nov 2016, 13:42

Resurrecting this thread from the dead....

Blackhawk FINALLY offered a Serpa for the FiveseveN MKII, they produced 300 units and then shut production down.

By the time I found out about it the only source I could find was a reseller on eBay. I wound up paying almost $120.00 for a holster that should have cost around $40.00

If you think you have found a Serpa for the MKII, look on the back, it should CLEARLY be marked REV D

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 20 Nov 2016, 19:28

PursuitSS wrote:Resurrecting this thread from the dead....

Blackhawk FINALLY offered a Serpa for the FiveseveN MKII, they produced 300 units and then shut production down.

By the time I found out about it the only source I could find was a reseller on eBay. I wound up paying almost $120.00 for a holster that should have cost around $40.00

If you think you have found a Serpa for the MKII, look on the back, it should CLEARLY be marked REV D
HOLY COW, SERIOUSLY?!!!

That sucks... I use a Serpa for my USG at biathlons . Oh well, at least I still have my USG for biathlons. I'll probably get a custom kydex done after I get the MkII with the extended bbl+shroud. I didn't even hear about the Serpa's for the MkII... thanks for the headsup... 120$ is a ripoff for a $25 holster.
Shoot more, worry less.